Register

If you already have an account with us, please use the login panel below to access your account.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default Stealth closet grow -- first time

Hello TC

I've been scouring countless forums and how-to's for days now
    and am finally ready to start putting together my first grow room. I am
    using one of two closets for my vegetative room, the closet is approx 8' in height and about 4' in depth. The closet door is also made up of downward facing slates wich is ideal because it will help with the airflow.
    However, id like to stress the fact that i am currently unemployed (fresh out of highschool) and do not have the money to build the ideal grow room for a quick and easy harvest, In fact i will have to manually switch on and off the lights and water the plants myself (I'm at home most of the time anyways so this is not a problem for me)

The one thing i am truly at a loss for though is proper lighting...
    could any standard florescent light bulb work? could even a halogen bulb work?

The planting pots are sitting a metal mesh crate wrapped in tinfoil situated above an empty plastic tub that will be used to capture any excess water that runs off through the holes i have poked in the tinfoil on the bottom of the crate. I have an adequate fan for the space already. I know this all seems extremely budget, but without money its all very hard to do
    I am currently germinating 11 purple skunk seeds, fresh from my friend's plant, hope they all sprout!

Any and all feedback and tips as to lighting or how my setup could be improved in any way is extremely appreciated, thanks TC!
    http://www.tokecity.com/forums/image...s/cannabis.gif
    Attached Images Attached Images    

Wut is yer housing arrangement/living situation.

Security is job 1.

hello Butcher Bob!

I still currently live with my father in a town house complex,
    I realize that TC does not support people who grow without their
    parent's/guardian's consent in a living situation like this. That is why
    i have already taken the time to carefully explain the plan to him, and he agreed that it was a harmless experiment as long as I'm careful about it.
    (he smokes too hehe)
    Peace Love & Groovy

look up CFLs, they are probably the easiest and cheapest way to grow if done right. They look like a regular lightbulb that has been twisted. Try to get as large as ones as possible that still fit according to your grow area.
    http://images.google.com/imgres?imgu...icial%26sa%3DG

You will need to get lamps that screw in regular bulbs, but make sure they can handle the wattage as you will probably be getting bigger bulbs than most regular table lamps can handle... might need to get a few of these...

http://images.google.com/imgres?imgu...icial%26sa%3DG

hope ive helped, you seem to have a good start just keep reading/going through grow journals on here man!
    hg
    Lifes like... kinda like that...But lifes like...really like that
    cuz you might get sober.....ya mind starts racin that i
    but yall probably get shat .... almost forgat...lifes like

kinda like that... gotta remember that

Quote Originally Posted by DankLover420 View Post
    I still currently live with my father in a town house complex,
    I realize that TC does not support people who grow without their
    parent's/guardian's consent in a living situation like this. That is why
    i have already taken the time to carefully explain the plan to him, and he agreed that it was a harmless experiment as long as I'm careful about it.
    (he smokes too hehe)
    Good, then you smelt wut I wuz fishin fer. If pops is interested, include him in the project. This gives several advantages:

He is immediately available to set guidelines...considering it's his house.
    It gives the two of you an excuse to spend time together...family values are important.
    Two heads are better than one...additional common sense, & yer dad has more since he's older.
    He may enjoy it...which may relieve some of the work load, and possibly provide an additional source of funds.
    Gives you someone to talk with aboot it...so you don't feel the need to tell yer friends.

Treat it like a learning experience, and you both could gain a lot from it.

As far as lights go, you got three choices...fluros, HPS, and/or MH.

You got a nice space to work with, just take yer time, read a lot, and slowly work at improvin things as ya go.

Thank you for the very helpful and much needed advice, Butcher Bob and HerbieGreen!

I just so happen to own a few CFL's hanging around the house.
    However, i am unsure as to wether or not they are bright enough to get the job done.
    (120v, 60hz) hehe i must say i'm quite excited about this, especially since its becoming more of a bonding activity than a tedious project. Those Zilla Dome Style lamps look
    exactly like the sort of lighting i need for this kind of space, they should do quite nicely
    if i can get my hands on one. Until then, perhaps there is a way of constructing a reflective shield for any household lamp that could fit a CFL?

Thanks again guys for your help, Peace Love and Groovy!
    Peace Love & Groovy

Quote Originally Posted by DankLover420 View Post
    Thank you for the very helpful and much needed advice...
    Another thing I fergot to mention, git dad's help locating & securing a good job...it'll gain a lotta respect from him.

Those Zilla Dome Style...
    Look fer them clamp on fixtures that have aluminum reflectors like that...they work great with the CFLs.

120 V 60 hz has nothing to do with light output. its just telling you its rated for use in a 120v system. i would recommend going out and buying new cfls. unless you know the light output on the bulbs you have.

and get a job ya bum

heres a picture of my new 12/12 flower bed closet setupup, then some ways i try to keep any people that would happen to go through my apt leave my closet alone. Hope to trigger some ideas my man!

hg
    Attached Images Attached Images   
    Last edited by HerbieGreen; 09-17-2008 at 08:29 PM.

and btw, if my first picture DOES NOT trigger any ideas about lamps/CFLs you might want to take think about shuttin down... lol j/k man! We all had to learn stuff out little by little, but if you take the time to LEARN esp. around sites like these you should be successful!

REMEMBER THE SIX P'S OF GROWING according to hgreen!