Register

If you already have an account with us, please use the login panel below to access your account.

Page 2 of 51 FirstFirst 1234567891012 ... LastLast

dam bro. what restaurnt u own

nice looking dishes bro!

Quote Originally Posted by Bboy420 View Post
    dam bro. what restaurnt u own
    dont own lol just a humble cook
    as for which one this is a pot forum
    Collection brought to you by : Roor, Lux, FYC, Freek, Abel, Kevin Nail, Fro, Royal, Slinger, Chris Carlson, Arik, Max Polin, Pakoh, Carver B, Maka B, Ghost, Trevor, Snic, EA, Zen glass, AKS, Strobel, Salt, Scott Deppe, Adam G, and Opas

i want to learn how to cook like that and make some bomb canna budder to mix in there. It would be sweet to one day open a canna resturant. maybe someday....

I want to make some canna cajun butter, now that would be bomb
    Collection brought to you by : Roor, Lux, FYC, Freek, Abel, Kevin Nail, Fro, Royal, Slinger, Chris Carlson, Arik, Max Polin, Pakoh, Carver B, Maka B, Ghost, Trevor, Snic, EA, Zen glass, AKS, Strobel, Salt, Scott Deppe, Adam G, and Opas

Blue Ridge Representative onlybuilt4's Avatar

I have a ton of these from my food blog (realgoodcooking.blogspot.com)

here's one to add Yours looks great man

On the menu tonight:

* Cinnamon/coriander/coffee/guajillo chili crusted pork loin chops with spicy blueberry reduction sauce
    * Roasted white asparagus
    * Purple potato salad with roasted garlic-red wine vinaigrette

I broke my coffee grinder grinding up the spices

Here's how it goes.

First step, assemble all your ingredients:

For the spice rub:

-1 tbsp fresh whole coffee beans
    -2 large dried guajillo chilis
    -2 sticks of cinnamon (preferably actual cinnamon and not cassia if you can find it)
    -About 2 tbsp of whole coriander seeds
    -1.5 tsp regular table salt (kosher or sea salt is too coarse for this particular application)
    -1/2 tsp freshly ground black pepper

Everything except for the coriander is ready to grind. I would recommend not making the same mistake I did and trying to grind the cinnamon in mostly-whole sticks. Beat it down with something heavy in a ziploc first until it is in small, coarse chunks, then grind. Take the stem and the seeds out of the guajillo chiles and tear them into smaller chunks before grinding. You probably won't get a super-fine powder out of them, which is actually okay. Grind your coffee as finely as you can, you really only want the flavor of the coffee, not the texture. For the coriander, place into a small skillet over medium heat and toss vigorously for about 2 or 3 minutes or until fragrant, allow to cool, and then grind finely.

Potato salad:

-About a pound and a half of purple potatoes (you can use any kind of potato you like, but these just plain look cool - if you use another type, pick a waxy potato like a red-skin)
    -Approx. 3/4 cup extra virgin olive oil
    -Approx 1/2 cup red wine vinegar (or any vinegar you have a particular affinity to)
    -1 head of roasted garlic (cut top off head, drizzle with olive oil, salt/pepper, roast at 500 degrees wrapped in foil for approx 30 minutes or until very soft, then cool)
    -1 jalapeno, diced finely
    -Handful parsley, finely chopped
    -Salt and pepper to taste

(Didn't get a picture of anything but the potatoes for this one)

For the sauce

-Reserved juices/fat from chops
    -Small jalapeno, seeded and finely sliced
    -About a cup of ripe, fresh blueberries
    -Few cloves garlic, finely chopped
    -Approx. 1 cup chicken stock (homemade is best)
    -2 tbsp cream
    -1 tbsp butter
    -Salt and pepper to taste

(not all ingredients pictured)

For the asparagus:

-1 bunch white asparagus (Most people might tell you to peel these, I personally love them raw with the skin on - but I'm weird. Do what you feel like here.)
    -1 tbsp olive oil
    -Salt & Pepper
    -Crushed red pepper flakes

Time to get cooking:

First thing's first: you'll want to put a generous helping of the spice rub mixture onto both sides of your loin chops and allow them to come to room temperature. You probably want to leave them out for about 20 or 30 minutes to give a bit of time for the rub to penetrate the top layer of the meat and impart a bit more flavor into the pork, and also to adhere a bit better.

Then, start by preparing the vinaigrette for the salad. Simply put every single one of the roasted garlic cloves (just squeeze em right out of the head) into a mixing bowl, then whisk with the olive oil until well-blended. Drizzle in vinegar in a slow, steady stream until an emulsion is formed. Then whisk in the jalapenos, parsley, salt and pepper. Easy enough, right?

Go ahead and get your potatoes chopped into fairly uniform pieces and start them in a large pot in cold lightly salted water. Bring to a boil for approximately 10 minutes or until potatoes are fork tender but NOT mushy. Interestingly enough, the potatoes will go from a very deep purple to an almost pastel blue. Set aside away from heat for a few moments. When you're ready to serve, drain your potatoes THOROUGHLY and toss very lightly with the vinaigrette. Top with more parsley and a bit of freshly chopped tarragon and mint if you like.

At this point you'll want to dress your cleaned (and peeled, if you want) asparagus with the olive oil, salt, pepper, and crushed red pepper. Wrap tightly in a foil pouch and place in the same 500 degree oven you roasted your garlic in for 10-15 minutes or until they're the texture you want. As I said above, I prefer them very lightly cooked or raw, so they only stayed in about 5 or 6 minutes for me.

Heat a skillet (no non-stick, please, you can't make a pan sauce in a non-stick skillet) large enough to hold your chops with plenty of room over medium-high heat with about 2 tbsp of canola/veggie oil or clarified butter. Once hot, sear your chops until a nice crust is formed - BE CAREFUL here, as the spices on the outside of the pork WILL burn if you're not careful.

As soon as you get a nice crust on one side, tent loosely with foil and place the whole pan into that 500 degree oven for about 5 more minutes or until the chops are properly cooked. Some people might tell you that you want pork at 165-175 degrees or even higher - those people are full of crap. This ain't 1985, you're not going to die from pork that's cooked a little pink. Just exercise a little discretion here. It's really easy to mess up and get dry pork.

Take the pork out, place on a plate tented with foil, and allow to rest for 3-4 minutes while you make the sauce:

Put the pan over medium heat, adding more oil or butter if necessary, and toss in your garlic and jalapeno slices. Cook for a minute or two until they just start to pick up some color, then toss in your blueberries. Cook for about another minute, then add the chicken stock and crank the heat up to medium-high. Cook for approximately 6 to 7 minutes or until the stock has reduced by half and your sauce has gone from clear/yellow-tinged to a fairly deep purple. Turn the heat off, then add the butter and cream. Taste for seasoning, then add salt if needed and plenty of freshly cracked black pepper. You're done.

Plate everything up, hopefully better than I did here, and enjoy. :yum:

Blue Ridge Representative onlybuilt4's Avatar

Here's one more

Roasted Chile and Garlic Pizza with Goat Cheese and a Spicy Tomatillo Sauce

Ingredients

-Pizza dough (see below)
    -Tomatillo sauce (see below)
    -Roasted chiles and roasted garlic (see below)
    -4 to 6 ounces of good quality goat milk cheese, crumbled
    -8 ounces of good quality Monterey Jack cheese, coarsely shredded
    -Coarsely chopped cilantro for garnish

Dough for crust:

-2 cups high-gluten (bread) flour plus approx. cup for kneading
    -1 tsp kosher salt (or tsp table salt)
    -1 tsp (half of a standard package) active dry yeast
    - cup warm (approx. 105 degree) water plus more as needed
    - cup Extra Virgin Olive Oil
    -Pinch of cane or “raw” sugar (or small drizzle of honey)

Mix 2 cups flour with kosher salt in a large bowl (or, if using a stand mixer, in the mixer bowl). If combining by hand, make a well in the center of the flour.

Bloom yeast in cup of warm water and sugar/honey for approximately 5 to 10 minutes or until light bubbles appear on the surface. Pour yeast/water mixture and olive oil into flour and mix by hand (or with a stand mixer with dough hook) vigorously until dough begins to become slightly elastic and sticky. Add more water as needed until dough consistency is tacky enough to allow it to stick to the bottom while still pulling away from the sides of the bowl.

Turn dough out onto cool, smooth surface (stone countertop or large stainless steel cookie sheet, preferably) generously dusted with flour. Knead for 5-10 minutes or until gluten is well-developed. (Dough should be tacky but no longer sticky and have noticeable resistance when stretched.)

Shape dough into a ball and place in a well-oiled glass bowl covered with a damp tea towel. Place in a warm area of the house (microwaves often work well for this, turned off of course) for about an hour or until the dough has doubled in size. Punch the dough down, cut into two equal portions, and shape each portion into a disc. Wrap tightly in plastic and place in refrigerator for at least an hour to rest. One portion is enough for one large thin-crust pizza. The other portion will keep for a week or more if wrapped tightly and placed in a resealable bag or foil.

When it comes to shaping your pizza dough into a crust, you're on your own. If you are able to work the dough well enough to do the iconic “dough toss” and shape it in the air, go for it. For those of us who are not quite so dexterous, a good rolling pin can work wonders. I prefer thin, crispy (but still slightly chewy) crust, so I roll the dough out to approximately 1/8th of an inch thickness and then dock it with a fork. This allows any excess gas to vent out, thus preventing the crust from bubbling up during cooking. At this point you have the choice to either pre-bake the crust (by whichever method will allow you to get it the hottest, 500+ degrees is preferable), which I prefer, or to simply layer the ingredients on top of the raw dough and bake it all together. For this particular recipe, I would recommend pre-baking the crust for approximately 5 minutes, as the toppings and the sauce are already cooked and you really only need to get the cheese melted and slightly browned.

Spicy Tomatillo Sauce

- lb Tomatillos, husks, stems, and seeds removed, quartered
    - cup coarsely chopped sweet onion
    -3 cloves fresh garlic, minced
    -1 tbsp olive oil
    - tsp Kosher salt
    - tsp freshly ground black pepper
    - to tsp crushed red pepper flakes
    -1 serrano chile, seeded and minced
    -2 tbsp Extra Virgin Olive Oil
    -Handful fresh cilantro and fresh basil, chiffonade
    -Large pinch cane or “raw” sugar (optional, but very helpful in cutting the acidity of the tomatillos)

Heat olive oil over medium low heat. Add onions, serrano and salt, then sweat for approximately 4 to 5 minutes or until onions become translucent and tender. Add tomatillos, red pepper flakes, and black pepper, continuing to cook 7 to 8 minutes or until tomatillos are very soft. Remove from heat and allow to cool before pureeing in a blender or food processor until smooth. Add herbs and sugar and pulse just until finely integrated into sauce. Transfer to a non-reactive bowl, stir in olive oil, cover tightly and place in refrigerator for at least one hour (overnight is preferable) to allow flavors to meld.

Roasted Chiles and Garlic

-2 bell peppers, orange, red, and/or yellow preferable
    -3 to 4 Jalapeno chiles
    -1 Anaheim chile
    -1 head of garlic, top quarter removed
    -1 tbsp.olive oil
    -Kosher salt and cracked black pepper to taste

To roast chiles, use either a direct-flame approach (over a gas range turned to “high” or a hot grill) or simply use your oven's broiler function. Roast until skins are black, then place into a bowl and cover tightly with plastic wrap. Let sit for 5 to 10 minutes or until skins are loosened and chiles are cool enough to handle, then remove skins (avoid using running water for this). Remove stems and seeds as well as the membrane from the bell peppers. You may also remove the membrane from the Jalapenos and Anaheim if you are aiming for a lightly less spicy final product, although the difference will be negligible after roasting. Tear or chop into appropriately-sized pieces and set aside.

To roast garlic, place whole head with top portion removed, drizzled with oil, seasoned lightly and wrapped loosely in aluminum, into a glass baking dish. (A muffin tin works well if roasting multiple heads of garlic at once.) Bake at 450 to 500 degrees for 25 to 35 minutes or until soft and golden brown. Remove from oven and rest until cool enough to handle, then remove cloves by squeezing out. Reserve 5 to 6 cloves (less or more depending on taste) and slice very thinly, then set aside.

Pizza Construction

This is the part where you will want to improvise a bit, as not everyone has access to a pizza peal/stone and a wood-burning or brick oven. I originated this recipe using a standard convection oven set to 550 degrees and a large stainless steel sheet pan and it still turned out great, so don't despair if you don't have all the fancy gadgets.

Start by preheating whatever surface the pizza will be cooked on in your oven (or grill) at the highest possible temperature available to you. You'll want the surface to be rocket hot to give you the best possible texture on the crust.

Dust your pizza peal (or, in my case, another sheet pan) and place your formed dough crust onto it. If you are looking for a thin, crispy crust, I will again recommend docking the crust with a fork, lightly brushing with olive oil, and pre-baking for 5 or so minutes prior to topping. IF YOU DID NOT PRE-BAKE, brush a light coating of extra virgin olive oil onto the crust. Top with approximately to cup of tomatillo sauce. Try to avoid the American method of dousing the pizza crust in a gallon of sauce – the perfect pizza has a good balance of all ingredients.

Place your sliced roasted garlic on top of here and don't be shy, as roasted garlic has a much more mellow flavor than fresh. Top with an even layer of Monterey Jack, then evenly distribute the roasted chiles around the surface of the pizza. Evenly dot the top of the pizza with the goat cheese. As a final touch prior to baking, put a few grinds of coarse black pepper and (if you like a lot of heat) sprinkle with a few more red pepper flakes.

Place into oven and bake 5 to 7 minutes (possibly more depending on how hot your oven is and whether or not you pre-baked the crust) or until cheese is melted and slightly browned and crust is crispy. Top with cilantro for garnish, allow to cool for 5 minutes, and enjoy!

boston that food looks amazing!
    Quote Originally Posted by chalice View Post
    no snappers only tappers
    Quote Originally Posted by Hashmasta-Kut View Post
    i'm a bottom hole lover too

thanks dez

His Royal Dutchness [NL]Maarten's Avatar

nice food ! and nice photos !
    taking photos of food is harder than everyone thinks hehe
    i like pie
    free TIBET![SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]