Register

If you already have an account with us, please use the login panel below to access your account.

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Default BHO purge method and temperature?

This is going to be my first post on this message board. My usual MB doesn't really deal with extracts, just growing.
    I have read many different techniques for a BHO purge to shatter or budder (personally looking to make shatter), on these message boards, IC, Rollitup, but have not gotten a clear idea on timing and temperature of the purge. Read all the posts by HMK, Ninja, and everyone else who posts about BHO.

So...... This is my setup so far. Two massive tubes which hold 90 grams each run.
    [IMG][/IMG]
    [IMG][/IMG]

I load the tubes with indoor or outdoor trim which has been blended after being super dried. I use 6X9 flat bottomed baking tins which I keep in a just below boiling water bath. For each 90 gram tube, I use 3 cans of Vector.

I do 3 runs into each tin, changing the water bath inbetween runs, and ending up with between 30-50 grams in each tin.

After the third and final run for each tin, I dunk the tin in the electric skillet to heat the extract, and then work the extract left in the tins with two puddy knives, and toss it back into an electric skillet on warm (160*F) for the first big purge, and turn off the skillet until the water cools. Below is a shot of the puddy knives, and then the first purge in the skillet.

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

After cooling, I throw them in the freezer for 30 min., and then back in the 160* water for another purge until the water is cool.

[IMG][/IMG]

I just can't seem to make shatter OR budder! After the 2nd or 3rd purge and cooling, my oil looks like this in warm water,

[IMG][/IMG]
    [IMG][/IMG]

and it stays really taffy-like, and impossible to handle without angel hairs landing on every thing.

1. Is my problem that I don't spread the extract thin enough? Too deep with 30-50g of extract to turn hard? Maybe transfer to a large round casserole dish to purge? Is this a large batch specific problem, like if I only do 2 runs into each tin giving more surface area, will it turn?

2. Is my purge all wrong?

I have seen many people's recipes for purge, but none are time and temperature specific. I have been experimenting with every conceivable option, but am still ending up with taffy.

Any expertise would be much appreciated, and thanx in advance.

-mas

Account Closed

im not the expert on BHO. but you should use pyrex... and i dunno about freezing??? either way the butane should evaporate...

Account Closed

I usually run less material.. in a flat pyrex, which allows the excess butane to escape.

I purge the oil in the pyrex dish over a water filled skillet ( double boiler style) for approx. 10 minutes per gram of oil, never acually letting the water reach a rolling boil.

then I use the torch to do a light flame purge ( popping the surface bubbles with the brush of a torch flame).

no need to freeze it.. it it's gonna be hard.. it'll do it at room temp.

sometimes the oil won't become hard due to the starting material.

i'd go with pyrex just to make collecting easier, just gotta get a scraper or w/e. i've never purged to that extent. only about 10 mins under a boil per gram of yield. and i use my torch to pop the first lil batch of bubbles. i've had really good oil come out not shatter, but just firm, smoked fine and wasn't garbage. \

but i really don't see any reason to freeze it and repurge it after a good first purge..

edit. they don't call him ninja for nothing.
    Last edited by xmikepwnsx; 02-16-2009 at 04:42 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by linsen View Post
    DAMN! mike does fucking pwn
    all day

Account Closed

also.. im assuming you are running more than one can of butane per tube.

if that's the case, then you are extracting excess plant waxes and starches from the "top" material, and that's causing the oil the stay pliable.

use a shorter tube, and extract less at a time.

Going big sounds cool, but sometimes just isnt the best idea.

No offense, but where did you learn how to make oil? Those metal tins are deff not good for extracts at all. I bet that oil would come out much better if you used pyrex dishes and purged properly. I wish we still had HMK's thread for ya' to check up on.

Also, I would suggest not blending the herbs either. Whole nug is the best way to run! for using vector though
    Last edited by Aphasia; 02-16-2009 at 04:44 PM.

Garbage in -> Garbage out.
    The glassy product is made with whole nugs.
    I purge with water just below the boiling point and there is never any freezer involved.
    The only materials besides herb that I allow to come in contact with my Butane and Extract are Pyrex and Stainless steel... period.
    I like the pure.
    Kiss me, I'm legal! ┌П┐(_)┌П┐
    "In the abundance of water, the fool is thirsty..." Bob Marley Rat Race
    I don't smoke trees any more, just the sap.

Quote Originally Posted by Jackie Papers View Post
    Garbage in -> Garbage out.
    The glassy product is made with whole nugs.
    I purge with water just below the boiling point and there is never any freezer involved.
    The only materials besides herb that I allow to come in contact with my Butane and Extract are Pyrex and Stainless steel... period.
    I like the pure.
    Exactly!

I do get shatter with shake though. Hehe
    TC Staff

Account Closed

Quote Originally Posted by Scheize View Post
    Exactly!

I do get shatter with shake though. Hehe
    For the record, ^Exception not the rule^

Account Closed

Man if never fails to genshatter if I wanted to even with large amounts
    First of all get a glass/ Pyrex dish
    Second heat the dish to 200 f
    Do your extraction
    Place the dish back on a flameless heati g element
    Wait for most of the bubbles to settle down and you can leave it on for ten- fifteen min
    Let it cool (no frezzer)
    And if you want it more glassy throw it back on the heat