Register

If you already have an account with us, please use the login panel below to access your account.

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Default Inconsistant Bong Resin Residue - Really Baffling

I recently tried hooking up two RooR.de bongs together using straight tubing. The result was not only really fun, it was suprisingly smooth. After a little while I noticed a trend in the resin build up which made no logical sense to myself. So, i bring it to TC...heres hoping sm1 can hazard a guess.

The situation. As I mentioned, I have two tubes hooked up, from mouthpiece to downstem. In the first tube (the first point of filtration) the water is clean and has very little residue. On the second tube (second point of filtration) the water is exponentially dirtier and collects large amounts of resin/tar buildup. I have a few photos to try and make this a bit easier to understand. My question is, why would the second chamber be filtering more resin/tar? Both have the same RooR.de diffuser and amount of water. It just got me thinking. I am using a carbon filter and a selection of nice bowls.

The contraption in question:

Pics after 2 and 3 hits, tube on the left is the first point of filtration (has the carbon filter and bowl) on the right is the second.
    2 Hits:

3 Hits:

Another nice big hit:

this is getting really disgusting now...while the other tube remains clear, the second chamber is just and the diffuser is clogged.

Scraped out a bit of the buildup, what is it exactly?

ideas?
    Resident Guitar Builder
    SO.....MUCH.....GLASS
    Yey Canada Medi Patient!

That is very strange

my only guess is that it could be glue from the tape you're using. dont ask me how that makes any sense but thats all i could come up with. it doesnt make much sense to me
    Relax and take notes, while i take tokes of the marijuana smoke.

no clue...

definitely interested though

so did not need to see that last pic..
    Glass by:
    Sovereignty, , Mike Fro, Kennaroo, Slinger, Snic, Wildrok, Salt, Cowboy, Toro, Pakoh, Stoner4Life, Mer, FREEEK, Robin Hood, Andy D

Interesting. At least with all the multi-chambered tubes/bubs I've smoked, it seems to be the exact opposite: the first chambers are always the dirtiest and the last ones usually the cleanest.

My only guess is that some how perhaps the smoke is getting/taking something out of the tubing you used and then depositing the newly obtained toxins/tars in the second chamber?

By the way, some gross pictures you got there . . . props man!

edit:
    what material is being used to plug the bore hole in the first tube? if it's spongy enough maybe it's disintegrating into the smoke, as it appears similar color to that dark substance in the chamber
    Last edited by Herb; 02-22-2009 at 08:44 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Bacon Egg and Cheese View Post
    my only guess is that it could be glue from the tape you're using. dont ask me how that makes any sense but thats all i could come up with. it doesnt make much sense to me
    that's my only guess too. that it could be something to do with the tape or the plastic, but i'm not certain about anything either

The tubing is surgical grade, it can be exposed to high heat vapors (much higher than smoke). There is very low possibility that the tape would come into contact with the smoke. The tape is only on the outside to seal any minor leaks. The whole thing is quite airtight without the tape. I dont think it has anything to do with the tubing.

My only thought could be that because when clearing, the second tube gets all the smoke pulled through at a really quick rate that it might filter more. But thats one hell of a difference!
    Resident Guitar Builder
    SO.....MUCH.....GLASS
    Yey Canada Medi Patient!

My best guess is definitely some sort of glue or resin leaching from the tubing and/or tape. I do not see any other physically possible way you could be getting chunks in the second chamber.
    Quote Originally Posted by havock69 View Post
    I dont fukin care if it's legit it's dick as shit and Im getting it, and plus theres no blower around here that could blow that.

I have gotten similar buildups in tubes before. But never to this extent. But on a big load, my halo perc will normally be caked in stuff exactly like that resin. Leading me to believe that this resin is the same as the resin buildup from other tokes ie, its not from the plastic.
    Resident Guitar Builder
    SO.....MUCH.....GLASS
    Yey Canada Medi Patient!