Register

If you already have an account with us, please use the login panel below to access your account.

Page 4 of 145 FirstFirst 1234567891011121454104 ... LastLast

the torching process is deff. touchy, which is why its not really recommended until you have, AT LEAST, a few BHO runs under your belt.
    The flame from your tourch never really touches the oil. You just move it back and forth to help pull some more bubbles out. It took me about 20 runs before I was comfortable with the flame. AND STILL, occasionally I get over zealous and start while the bubbles are too big (nothing like the scare of seeing a flame flash over on your oil!!!!)
    Last edited by philly4life; 10-06-2009 at 11:03 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Hollygrove View Post
    Amazing how easy it is, isnt it? Hardest part of a BHO run is getting the nugs out of the turkey baster after youve sprayed.

I know everyone does it but I just can't bring myself to doing it that way. I know people are gonna say..." if you do it properly...." well what if you do it wrong! I use a hair dryer to get the bubbles, the bathroom isn't really a dusty place not to mention hair dryers come attached with built-in filters to prevent blowing around dust. I was never a fan of the torch idea, it's not the only way to bring heat to the plate.
    Last edited by Dr.Doe; 10-06-2009 at 10:58 AM.
    BHO Tutorial http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I8spk80yFRo
    Quote Originally Posted by GrapeSmuggler View Post
    Headshop directory made me laugh really really hard at arkansas. Mostly because the only listing for arkansas was in alaska.

So basically your usin that heat from the flame, not the flame itself, to pop the bubbles.

Makes sense...cause that way the oil is never getting physically touched by a flame. See that was the part I was confused on.

So can we agree that touchin a direct flame to your oil will in fact burn some if not all of the thc? Like when its hardened in a dish and somebody touches the oil with the flame to get it runny again, and I mean touch the oil with the flame, not graze over it.

^^Dr.Doe I like that idea a lot! Thank you.

edit: Lets go ahead and answer this to. How come I can make amber oil from trim but then other people have black oil from trim. We are talkin BHO through a baster. Is it just the THC content difference in the trims that make the oil more amber or more black? Also the black oil tends to be runny while the amber oil is more solid (once it cools).
    Last edited by bakeddude; 10-06-2009 at 11:01 AM.

Account Closed

Your not puting the torch close enough for the flame to actually touch your after the extremly hot air to "raze" the big bubbles
    if they don't flare up your probly almost purged but this depends on size of the batch
    if your making under a 8th of oil at a time then the dish should do most of the work
    but when you've got a ounce or two in one dish heat created by the flame of the torch is nessisary to achive a EVEN purged oil

but in my lonely opinon fuck water it's unnessisary with a temp controled hot plate
    all the water is is a TEMP CONTROL. And I'm usually hovering over the dish untill I scrape anyways

Quote Originally Posted by karnivor420 View Post
    Your not puting the torch close enough for the flame to actually touch your after the extremly hot air to "raze" the big bubbles
    if they don't flare up your probly almost purged but this depends on size of the batch
    if your making under a 8th of oil at a time then the dish should do most of the work
    but when you've got a ounce or two in one dish heat created by the flame of the torch is nessisary to achive a EVEN purged oil

but in my lonely opinon fuck water it's unnessisary with a temp controled hot plate
    all the water is is a TEMP CONTROL. And I'm usually hovering over the dish untill I scrape anyways
    Haha yeah me too, and a trick i picked up if i'm doing bigger runs is that i cut a piece of corrugated cardboard the same size as my dish and use that as a lid. keeps moisture out, allows a little bit of airflow but keeps internal temperature up for an even purge. I lift an check on it every 5 minutes or so
    Glass By:
    Erik Anders, Dmak/Cripskillz, Hashmasta-Kut, GGirl, Arik/Sarah, Chris Carlson, Josh Sable, JLee, Mike Gong, Andonis, Kennaroo, Travis Weber

karnivor, well put....
    bakeddude, I think the color of the oil has to do with a few things. IME, the different colors come from the nugs/trim not being dry enough. I believe that dark oil comes from the starting material having excess moisture in it. I assume that the moisture allows chlorophyl or something to get into the oil. Also, running too much butane (like a whole can for one baster) seems to cause this also. Lastly, different nugs produce different oils but I still think the moisture plays a role. I am interested to see what other people say but I really believe the dark colors has to do with moisture
    Amazing how easy it is, isnt it? Hardest part of a BHO run is getting the nugs out of the turkey baster after youve sprayed.

Philly I think you may have hit it with the to much butane in one run leading to dark oil.
    This seems to be consistent with some of my first runs and with people who I know who use to much tane in their runs. (I think people just take it to personally, I mean cmon if your oil is black and mine is amber, its safe to say your doin something wrong).

The moisture thing is interesting, I haven't done enough testing with the same trim dried and wet to know if that is true, but it is something I am interested in knowing. Really, I am trying to pick up as much info as I can on this because I am doing a lot of research on the butane/thc (polarity and molecules) side of things and wanna make sure the processes are correct.
    Last edited by bakeddude; 10-06-2009 at 11:14 AM.

Account Closed

The darker oil has more contaminants in it.

FRESH buds are the best for oil, and they will produce that GOLDEN color you see a few TC'ers regularly get.

And by fresh I mean unhandled, not what 95% of us are getting(buds that have been passed through 10 peoples hands before you get it).

Amount of butane used has no part in color IME. Ive used 300ml of tane for a quarter and came out with GOLDEN oil, and Ive used not even 100ml on a quarter and gotten DARK oil.

Mostly depends on the buddah, then the purge, for oil color/consistency.
    Last edited by Got Money; 10-06-2009 at 11:19 AM.

^^^fresh dried buds? or fresh undried buds?
    and using a whole can for one run deff makes the oil darker/runnier. i have tested that a few times before

Account Closed

Fresh dried of course.

Wouldnt even think of touching a nug until it was dry.