Register

If you already have an account with us, please use the login panel below to access your account.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Default Florida: they just don't get it.....

so sad.......
    front page of NORML
    http://norml.org/

Despite this amazing era of increased cannabis awareness and acceptability in America, there are still strong pockets of political resistance. One of the most important states that needs to exit the era of Reefer Madness post haste is the political bellwether Florida. Of America’s political behemoths–CA, IL, OH, TX, PA and NY–Florida is the state that has least embraced cannabis law reforms, defers way too much to law enforcement’s self-interests and it’s political leadership–Democrat and Republican–are lockstep prohibitionists.

To reform cannabis laws in America means reforming the laws in a politically important and diverse state like Florida.

However, when concerned citizens in Florida, like South Florida NORML’s Karen Goldstein, contact her elected officials like Governor Crist seeking parity with about one-third of the United States’ citizens who currently reside in states that have either decriminalized cannabis, or have ‘medicalized’ it, they instead receive disingenuous Reefer Madness-soaked replies from unelected, self-interested prohibition apologists.

To wit…

April 16, 2010

Dear Mrs. Goldstein:

Governor Crist received your email and forwarded it to me for a response. I am the Director of the Florida Office of Drug Control. First, thank you for expressing your opinion to our Governor.

It is important to understand that our federal and state drug control policies have one overarching goal: to reduce and, if possible, eliminate the use of illicit drugs like marijuana. Establishing a taxed and regulated legal market for adult marijuana users would not advance the goal of our drug policies. First, legal access to marijuana would likely result in steep usage rate increases. Our experience with alcohol and tobacco has taught us that commercial interests weaken sensible regulatory efforts.

A legal marijuana industry would employ promotion, advertising, and lobbying to increase demand while maintaining prices well below their current black market levels. Stimulating demand while lowering prices would undoubtedly lead to both increases in the number of Americans that use marijuana as well as the intensity with which they use it.

I am very concerned about the health and wellbeing of Florida citizens. The deaths caused each year by alcohol and tobacco represent a major cost to society that is in no way offset by the tax revenue generated by the sales of these substances. Furthermore, I do not believe that the adverse consequences of marijuana use (respiratory diseases, traffic fatalities, poor school performance, dependence, etc.) could ever offset the potential tax revenue it might generate.

Any policy change that results in an increase in marijuana use, particularly among youth, is unacceptable. Cannabis use has acute effects on attention and memory, something that constitutes a particular problem for adolescents still in school and perhaps contemplating a collegiate future. Furthermore, marijuana use impairs judgment and motor skills, posing a serious risk of automobile accidents. It is also estimated that about 10% of marijuana users eventually become dependent on it. By enforcing policies that suppress the use of addictive drugs like marijuana, we are affirming our ultimate respect for freedom and liberty by ensuring that fewer Americans get trapped into a life of addiction.

Finally, please be aware that federal and Florida laws prohibit “medical marijuana” because an expert review of the evidence conducted by the Institute of Medicine concluded that “Smoked marijuana…is a crude THC delivery system that also delivers harmful substances…[and] cannot be expected to provide a precisely defined drug effect. For those reasons there is little future in smoked marijuana as a medically approved medication.” Safer and scientifically proven drugs exist for all of the medical conditions that marijuana is erroneously thought to treat.

Again, thank you for your correspondence to Governor Crist.

Sincerely,
    Bruce D. Grant
    Director
    Florida Office of Drug Control
    Last edited by crust; 05-02-2010 at 11:11 AM.
    do epic things.

and...... eff that guy, backing up his claims with hearsay.

Politicians make me feel like I'm insane. Their logic is so ass backwards.

It's hard to be correct when your logic is flawed.
    ~Just Blaze~

Quote Originally Posted by Emohohkaywhy View Post
    Politicians make me feel like I'm insane. Their logic is so ass backwards.

It's hard to be correct when your logic is flawed.
    exactly wtf are we supposed to do about that

i feel so helpless in this state. like no matter what they just wana keep us down.fuckn sink florida.
    SG/LEAR

Quote Originally Posted by bastardstookallnames View Post
    fuckin sink florida.

been saying it for a while now lol
    /Run BHO

Weed makes everything better.... So why would i stop smoking?
    -Joe Rogan

"Our experience with alcohol and tobacco has taught us that commercial interests weaken sensible regulatory efforts."

ROFL That statement should have been fallowed by "And since we have let every other harmful commercial interest direct public lawmaking, there just isn't room for Big Marijuana Business. What are we supposed to tell the major pharmaceutical companies that donate to Gov Crist's campaign? Until Pfizer starts making pot pills, we wont consider it."
    Glass By: Wicked Sands X2, Zob, Leviathan, Gathering, Lodi, JBD, 'Roo, Cornbread, Hermit, Royal, Delta9, RooR, Cowboy, Mike Fro, Nemo, Lurch

"Our experience with alcohol and tobacco has taught us that commercial interests weaken sensible regulatory efforts."

what about your experience with legal prescription drugs that are abused by millions daily? ide say considering this is a medical issue before it is a recreational issue it is more suited to compare it to say prozac or xanax rather then alcohol.
    If you cant take the heat then you better burn down the kitchen Baba.

Safer and scientifically proven drugs exist for all of the medical conditions that marijuana is erroneously thought to treat.
    Like????

the adverse consequences of marijuana use (respiratory diseases, traffic fatalities, poor school performance, dependence, etc.)
    It's also a gateway drug too..... anymore BS?

Is he really trying to say that the above problems cost just as much as all the deaths and damage alcohol and tobacco cause?.... That's also assuming the above "consequences" are even true!

Lastly, I love how they can't help but use tobaccco and alcohol as an exemple of the bad that can come from legalizing MJ...... EMO took the words right out of my mouth!

EDIT: If what he says is true about the revenue made not covering the money spent on all the consequences then that would mean the gov't is actually paying to kill it's own citizens.... That's kinda wrong but TBH I believe there making lots of money off it so no I don't believe him. Most likely tax payer dollars while the gov't keeps the rest.

an expert review of the evidence conducted by the Institute of Medicine concluded that “Smoked marijuana…is a crude THC delivery system
    I thought there was a fed researcher that worked for 30 years trying to prove this only to conclude the opposite is true? Was that a fake paper or article or something because these people seem to have no idea about it.
    Last edited by Dr.Doe; 05-02-2010 at 04:10 PM.
    BHO Tutorial http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I8spk80yFRo
    Quote Originally Posted by GrapeSmuggler View Post
    Headshop directory made me laugh really really hard at arkansas. Mostly because the only listing for arkansas was in alaska.

O.G. Original Ganja tampasushi420's Avatar

By enforcing policies that suppress the use of addictive drugs like marijuana, we are affirming our ultimate respect for freedom and liberty by ensuring that fewer Americans get trapped into a life of addiction.
    palm to forehead... eff this guy

Quote Originally Posted by Johnny Rico View Post
    Fuck no they don't call the cops, you just won't get the job... Unless you're applying to be a cop, in that case idk.

"If you find yourself lost in the woods, fuck it! Build a house. "Well, I was lost, but now I live here. I have severely improved my predicament." - Mitch Hedberg (R.I.P.)