Register

If you already have an account with us, please use the login panel below to access your account.

Page 29 of 33 FirstFirst ... 1921222324252627282930313233 LastLast

buds are growing! They'll be ready for harvest tomorrow
    How could this have happened? We started out like Romeo and Juliet, but instead it ended in tragedy. - Milhouse

thought I'd share the vegetable root photo. From left to right: corn, tomatoe, tomatoe, tomatoe and tomatoe! Phew! It's like a damned ice box in there brrrr unfortunately it's out of my control... for now.
    How could this have happened? We started out like Romeo and Juliet, but instead it ended in tragedy. - Milhouse

woah what a coincidence, that dude who bought the single jug of nutrient called. He said he's got to get back to the teachings of chemistry, and he'll do whatever I say. Turns out his last grow yielded 5oz of fluffy shit nuggets.

the corn is doing...something? It looks like on the stalk there might be some kind of cobbing up. I'll see what happens in the coming weeks. more tomatoes are ripening! Sad to report some of those seeds had zero viability. I'll keep crackin' till I come up with something good! The outdoor season is off to a great start with 10 clones from the mother tomatoe!

got some craaaazy shit for people to see. Let me start by saying there is a massive paradigm in growing weed! It's like...crazy huge paradigm, and you better not say anything about it. Here is the paradigm: ph monitoring and TDS testing is required for a good hydro operation.
    My take on it...hah hah - is slightly different. The right chemistry plus a good plant equals a good hydro operation. The key to growing, as everyone already knows, is chemistry. So then, what we need is some kind of chemistry where things are always soluble, and perhaps just a bit acidic.
    Enter the crazy chemical nutrient manufacturers. They know this "secret" to plant growth and they want to make you get a good production with little effort so you will want to keep buying their shit.
    I see it on the shelves all the time now, when I check the bottles of nutrient. They are all getting clever, one by one, and changing up their formulas to achieve solubility.
    Some nutrient manufacturers even put this on their labels. Or rave about it on their web sites. Anyways, as they say... the proof is in the pudding.
    PH7 growth:

I just juiced that plant up from starvation mode the other day. It's grown lots since then. So check out the roots, they're happy as a clam.

The plant itself, indicates what level of nutrient it can take, and what level it's at. They can veg and grow forever at ph7. See the horrible blue colour of the ph testing kit? Accoding to the literature solubility especially for transition metals, drops at high ph ranges. Chelation with EDTA and/or DTP keeps transition metals soluble.

I luv this shit.
    ##> The Butcher Shop <##

Then God said, "I give you every seed-bearing plant on the face of the whole earth and every tree that has fruit with seed in it. They will be yours for food."
    Genesis 1:29

yo, whats some good reading for me to begin to understand the basics of chemistry rregarding herb growing. Like ph, EDTA, solubility etc...

I read a college chemistry text book. Chemistry, fifth edition, zumdahl. Then dive into some "the growing edge" compendium(I think it was volume 3), a whole bunch of info about hydro. I'd focus on ph buffering, and chelation. That way you'll understand what ph is. Also if you can sort of understand how ions dissasociate in water
    HC2H3O2 --> C2H3O2- + H+
    you can predict shit like "don't put vinegar in there". Don't bother reading up on organic chemistry, there's an entirely different take in the textbooks..but what I got out of it that I thought was important is this: organic means carbon based. I add carbon based fertilizer in bloom for the final weeks for synthesis of odors. Anything that forms a white crust inside your hydro system is not soluble and will therefor precipitate out of solution.
    Maybe I should bone up on my chemistry again - it's been a while!
    Better living through chemistry! I'll leave you with the dissasociation of pure water so everyone knows why it's ph7:
    H2O -> H+ and OH-
    DELTA H+ and OH- is equal to ZERO.(ph7)
    Also that's why pure water won't conduct electricity, giving your TDS meter a reading of zero.

“The Cannabis Cultivator” Shady's Avatar

Cool

Chelates like EDTA still require a slightly acidic pH just below 7 to ensure the metals are soluble and can be absorbed by the roots... The way I see it is that you either use nutrients that are packed with chelates and pH buffers, or adjust your pH with acid and base for proper nutriet uptake. The use of fulvic acid is another option for a natural chelation. Diff strokes for diff folks...
    ~ MMC recipient in compliance with Prop215 & SB420 ~

Shady's Moment of Clarity... Under Current, Organic Soil, & Coco DTW

just finished up this thread, great read and good luck to everyone involved. hot damn i gotta get into some hydro action
    Thanks to: Sovereignty, David Makalaster, Salt, Snic, Korey Cotnam, Bank, Sobe, WholeMilk, Down Neck, Josh Ford