Register

If you already have an account with us, please use the login panel below to access your account.

Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Detective Dank View Post
    In other words: The presence of butane/butane bubbles increases the surface area(?) of the oil, also increasing the rate of evaporation of terpenes...

If we can get AA to bubble terpenes out, I'd say the debate is settled as far as determining whether or not there are terpene bubbles in our oil. Can anyone think of a reason this wouldn't settle the debate?
    Detective Dank, once again, thank you for good editing my writing!

Imo terpens will bubble out of AA together with cannabinoids.

Quote Originally Posted by Jump View Post
    Detective Dank, once again, thank you for good editing my writing!

Imo terpens will bubble out of AA together with cannabinoids.
    I'm definitely going to have to agree with you here jump after getting a closer look at some AA me and a buddy made over the weekend. It CLEARLY bubbles on a Ti pad, and I actually "half toked" (started dabbing, then pulled the dabber off and let it cool) a dab of AA and it was nearly indistinguishable from doing the same with oil.

My next experiment which I will document even if it means using a shitty camera phone is going to be trying to over purge AA till I see terpene bubbles using water below 100*C. If this occurs I feel as though the debate surrounding the existence of terpene bubbles will be definitively over, and we can move on to developing methods of differentiating butane bubbles from terpene bubbles.

Ogromnoe spasiba jump! Oh yeah and don't worry about the language barrier, cuz as it happens У меня плохо с русским! lol.

edit: i just realized this experiment could confirm the existence of terpene bubbles, but not disprove them... sigh. Hopefully it'll confirm them and we won't have to think about that too hard. Every time I sign on here lately I end up leaving with a headache and having to close 10-20 windows of research haha.
    Last edited by Detective Dank; 06-11-2012 at 05:51 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dreams View Post
    Understanding WHY you do certain things is more important than understanding HOW you do them.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jackie Papers View Post
    Act like you're a carpenter and TC is a project: measure twice, cut once.
    Budder sucks.

kind of just throwing this into here because i didnt want to clog up the oil pic thread

but a week ago i made some OG oil that i vaccd twice for 20min each and it came out looking PERFECT! smoked so smoothly and had some of the most distinct taste of the flowers ive ever extracted

however yesterday, and today, it has turned into gooey budder
    also, it has lost its extreme pine/lemon flavor and tastes more like green/oil made from trim (it was made from whole nugs)

input?
    toker420iluvweed

Account Closed

its deteriorating and loosing flavor/terpenes??
    smoke that shit!!

Quote Originally Posted by hashcat View Post
    kind of just throwing this into here because i didnt want to clog up the oil pic thread

but a week ago i made some OG oil that i vaccd twice for 20min each and it came out looking PERFECT! smoked so smoothly and had some of the most distinct taste of the flowers ive ever extracted

however yesterday, and today, it has turned into gooey budder
    also, it has lost its extreme pine/lemon flavor and tastes more like green/oil made from trim (it was made from whole nugs)

input?
    had the same thing happen about a month ago with the most pungent oil ive made. Have you experienced high temps and humidity? I blamed mine on that lol. Since then ive kept my shit in my dresser with the a/c on

Get some jars, designed to keep goodness in and badness out. Try storing your oil in them like you would with bud. I've never had fully purged oil budder in a jar, even in 100F+ temps in the car during the summer. I'm no expert, just saying what's worked for me.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jackie Papers View Post
    no pain, no oil-stain.
    In the middle we stay calm, we just drop BHOmbs

idk maybe it is my purge. I did two batches this weekend withvery high humidity and around 90F temps. Both batches appeared clear after the vac and now 24 hrs later are buddering . I dont get it. Some of my oils stay oily forever yet some other batches just budder quickly. I also had really poor yeilds this weekend.

How does this look?
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Medfield College of Technology, Department of Physical Chemistry

Quote Originally Posted by Spliff'o'matic View Post
    Did my best to work this out....my head hurts

In order to work out the boiling point of the gas in a vacuum you must know the "enthalpy of vaporization".

Using this Boiling Point calculator: http://www.trimen.pl/witek/calculators/wrzenie.html

n-butane: 22.41 kj/mol
    delta-9 THC: 66.49 kj/mol

When plugged into the calculator...

THC:
    760 torrs (AP) @ 157C
    1 torr (near full vac) = 44C thats over 110F - according to most, that is way too hot to touch or vac at. Between 110-120 will cause burns...

n-butane:
    760 torrs (AP) @ -.5C
    1 torr (near full vac) = -110C

This is basically proving what we all knew....So unless you are vaccing at over 110F, you have nothing to worry about.
    "1 torr (near full vac)" ??? One torr is not near full vac!
    Here's a conversion chart:
    http://www.engineeringtoolbox.com/va...ter-d_460.html
    One torr is 1,000 microns and most 2 stage rotary vacuum pumps will pull a vacuum below 100 microns, 25-35 being common. Using your 66.49 kj/mol factor (the "high molecular or high boiling compound" factor of 70 which I've been using seems to be in the ball park?!) here's some THC boiling point numbers to think about:
    1.0mmHg/-29.88"Hg/1,000 microns 44C/111.2F
    .75mmHg/-29.89"Hg/750 microns 40C/104F
    .10mmHg/-29.916"Hg/100 microns 17C/62.6F
    .01mmHg/-29.9196/10 microns 5C/23F

Seems to me most everyone that's vac purging is boiling off THC...

Thanks for the heat of evaporation factors, wish I knew the source...
    Peace, John

thats kind of what i always thought too, but i didnt do any research, i just guessed.
    Last edited by Hashmasta-Kut; 01-29-2013 at 03:28 PM.