Register

If you already have an account with us, please use the login panel below to access your account.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Properly curing BHO

Hey yall! Been lurking for a long time so i finally decided to join in the fun.
    Ive been very curious lately about different techniques for curing and storing my earl for maximum potency and terpene retention.
    As a grower i understand the importance of a proper cure to bring out the best in my buds, and even bubble hash. However i am having a difficult time finding good info on curing bho.
    I am an experienced bho maker just looking to improve my tek. When i say cure i am not referring to the purge or any part of the extraction, but what to do after you have your wax/budder/shatter.

If anyone out there has any experience, info, before/after pics etc please post here. It will be greatly appreciated!

Thanks for having a great community here yall!

BHO is a different animal.

Curing bho will only cause the cannabinoids to degrade, bho is best when it is "fresh" as the volatile terps have not been exposed to oxygen to begin their decomposition.

When it comes to improving flavour and technique for oil, the game is all in preserving terpene/cannabinoid profile by using minimal heat in a vacuum based environment to allow the gasses to purge themselves more easily.
    Resident Guitar Builder
    SO.....MUCH.....GLASS
    Yey Canada Medi Patient!

Thanks for the reply!

I use a vac purge at low heat for my oil. I am happy with the result but i also have a few theories and ideas about the "cure"...

The first idea is in regards to physical appearance and texture in respect to the moisture content. Naturally there is SOME moisture left in our oil after the purge. This has occured to me during my many hours handling sap and budder. I am interested at reducing moisture content to facilitate ease of handling at room temp. Freeze drying would achieve this but i am looking for alternatives as well.

My second theory revolves around the decarboxylation of thca into thc. Its known that fresh buds are high in thca among other cannibinoids, that require being decarb'd or degraded to become psychoactive. Assuming your extracting at least relatively fresh material, wouldnt it stand to reason you are extracting a lot of non-psychoactivd thca. Im just pondering the possibility of letting those cannibinoids age to perfection so to speak.
    I could be way wrong tho, thats why i need yalls input!

In regards to your first theory - at least in the TokeCity world, budder is usually considered the result of an incomplete/imperfect purge.

I'm sure I will be quickly corrected if I'm wrong but I would think the consensus here is that residual moisture would be a minimal consideration if you have produced properly purged shatter/sap but would potentially play a much more significant role, if not the flat-out cause of, budder.
    Last edited by blueburnsorange; 11-28-2012 at 07:50 PM. Reason: I can't spell

Theres no need to decarboxylate your bho unless you're going to cook with it. Thats what the red hot Ti is for.

Aging your bho just gives it time to shed terpenes and flavinoids aka taste and smell which have a substantial effect on the type of buzz you get. Theres no such thing as curing bho, because in reality you're just giving it time to degrade.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dreams View Post
    Understanding WHY you do certain things is more important than understanding HOW you do them.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jackie Papers View Post
    Act like you're a carpenter and TC is a project: measure twice, cut once.
    Budder sucks.

Re: Decarboxylation. The same thing as flowers applies, the temperatures required for vaporization/combustion result in decarboxylation.

I definitely agree with others, BHO results in removing parts of the flower from the protective trichome head which greatly increase the substance's potential to rapidly decompose, emulsify, or oxidize.

By keeping bulk quantities of the product well sealed in the freezer I find I am able to retain volatile components indefinitely.
    Sickle Scalers FTW
    the dichro space ship in hibernation
    Credit, Forget it.

in a sealed container in the freezer does it add moisture?? always get sizzle if i add the freezer in any of my steps.
    Glass By: Toro, Salt, Banjo, Robert Bank$, Delph, Tako, Jedeye, Ben Wilson, C6, Bryan, Little B, Sleeping Humble, Eric Ross, Housem, Sovereignty, HMK, PHx, RooR, J-Red, Beer Glass, El Hefe,Mike Warren, Gabe Holiday, Adam W. (Hoobs), Koji, Dani Gurl, Mike Fro, Joe Blow, Josh Northrup, JBaker, and a Heady TI wrap. Plus some unknown artist, and more to come.

I sometimes notice a slight sizzle when it has recently been taken out of the freezer, usually gone by the next day. Have recently got into the habit of giving each ounce a vac pull after freezer removal to get rid of that added moisture.

Kind of a give and take when you want to store quantity for a few months and not worry about it turning into a pile of tastless garbo. This certainly seems the result when attempting to store for this long outside of a freezer.

I know this is a thread derailment but if others have techniques for bulk long term storage I'd be all ears.
    Sickle Scalers FTW
    the dichro space ship in hibernation
    Credit, Forget it.

Account Closed

Quote Originally Posted by stay-oily View Post
    in a sealed container in the freezer does it add moisture?? always get sizzle if i add the freezer in any of my steps.
    I do that but I use a food saver container for marinating meats and suck all the air out first. Don't have that problem.

Thanks for all the input fellas!

I keep mine in an air tight container in the freezer as well. The reason i am asking this is that i vend to several dispensaries in the state and they tend to prefer budder over shatter due to ease of handling. I personally prefer shatter tho. Id like to find a way to keep the shatter in a solid form when exposed to room temps. The closest ive gotten is some nice amber glass made with purple kush. It remains solid and is easily handled up to 85 degrees f. This was achieved by vaccing at 140 until purged completely (5 runs through vac). The shatter was then left in a dry room at 75 degrees with good airflow for 3 days. The result is a dark amber glass, can be broken by hand and doesnt stick to everything. Even when heated to 90f it doesnt stick to skin and thus very easy to work with.
    Curious if anyone has tried anything similar to what ive mentioned?