Register

If you already have an account with us, please use the login panel below to access your account.

Page 1 of 7 1234567 LastLast

Default type of filter for BHO

To the best of my understanding we majoritively use coffee filters in our spraying, and most of us are aware of average micron contained there in, but are we using the coffee filters because of their availability. I know of other members using lab grade paper filters, but I'm also aware that there are tons of other filters on the market made out of other material (ie borosilicate and quartz microfiber) that offer finer micron sizes.
    Is there a better suited filter for BHO that we haven't yet looked into or overlook because of availability?

Medfield College of Technology, Department of Physical Chemistry

Polyester felt 1 micron, nylon mesh 10 micron, polypropylene 1 micron, polyester PTFE coated .5 micron
    http://www.dudadiesel.com/filters.php

Search the biodiesel forums for some creative off the shelf options...they say denim (blue jean material) is 10-30 micron...probably turn your oil indigo.....

Why does everyone use coffee filters? Guess it's because of availability, and the assumed safety with butane...with the vapor pens becoming so popular maybe it's time to up the game concerning what degree of filtering is adequate...
    Last edited by SkyHighLer; 03-27-2013 at 06:55 PM.

Ya(b)-a-Dab-will-do

Silk screen... Nice n Strong

Stainless steel mesh. Reusable, easily cleanable and cheap.

I use a silk screen. never had any problem with it & its reusable.

I guess another way to word what I'm trying to ask may be, has anyone here in the city used any filters with less than 2 micron porosity? the borosilicate lab filters I found come in as small as .5 micron and due to natural affinity to all things boro I guess I'm optimistic to hear some feedback from the leading authorities on the subject.

hmmm this made me realize smaller micron most likely will equal more pressure in your tube...
    BHO - like turning water into wine

Quote Originally Posted by dabbing View Post
    Stainless steel mesh. Reusable, easily cleanable and cheap.
    X2 .. stainless is my preferred. no blowouts. bought 13 sq feet in bulk because i didn't want to pay 3$ per little square
    My collection Thread
    http://www.tokecity.com/forums/showthread.php4?t=28971
    Warcloud - Mad Axes http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tVCQGPzblJE (Amazing west coast Wu)

Which would be better to use???

Unbleached coffee filters ~OR~ a Brand New 25 micron silk screen from a bubble bag?

Medfield College of Technology, Department of Physical Chemistry

Quote Originally Posted by DansAPothead View Post
    I guess another way to word what I'm trying to ask may be, has anyone here in the city used any filters with less than 2 micron porosity? the borosilicate lab filters I found come in as small as .5 micron and due to natural affinity to all things boro I guess I'm optimistic to hear some feedback from the leading authorities on the subject.
    Are you finding inexpensive borosilicate lab filters? I took a look today and Whatman's are way too expensive, and the cheaper brand is still too expensive except for maybe a special run...
    LabExact Grade VSS Binderless Borosilicate Glass Microfiber Filter, Circle, 1.5m Pore Size, 12.5cm Filter Diameter (Pack of 100): Amazon.com: Industrial & Scientific

From my experiences with 2.5 micron paper filters, one or one and a half micron filtering should be as tight as anyone would require. I'm tempted to order one of those one micron biodiesel tube filters (polypropylene?) for a try...